The May 2018 LEGO® Challenge is here! If you want to find out more about how these challenges work, you can read more about it on the LEGO® Challenge page.
You can download the printable sheet for this month and use it to record your build. When you’re done, put it in your school portfolio, in your LEGO idea book, on the fridge, or wherever you want people to see it.
It’s May, the weather is turning nice, and it’s time to look toward summer. For a lot of people that means going to the beach! Now for some of you, the beach may be next to a lake, but for others, it’s next to the ocean and that’s the focus of this month’s challenge. For this month’s challenge, build something related to the ocean.
This will look different for everyone. There are so many amazing things to love about the sea. You may want to build:
- A whale
- A shark
- A pod of dolphins
- A coral reef community
- A trench at the bottom of the ocean
- The ocean floor
Speaking of the bottom of the ocean, did you know that the ocean is way deeper than we thought? No, really!
While you’re pondering your build, here are some interesting facts about the ocean, its features, and the creatures that live there.
- Humans have only explored 5% of the ocean. We don’t actually know how deep the deepest point is; we only know the deepest we’ve discovered so far.
- There are a lot of mysterious things that happen in the ocean that we just don’t understand.
- About 72% of the Earth’s surface is covered by ocean. These oceans are home to 230,000 known species. Considering that’s only what we’ve found in 5% of the oceans that we’ve explored, it’s probably there are a lot more species we don’t yet know about.
- Jellyfish have been around for more than 650 million years, which means that they out date both dinosaurs and sharks.
- An Octopus has three hearts and the color of its blood is blue.
- The Pacific Ocean is surrounded by the Pacific Ring of Fire, a large number of active volcanoes. (Learn more about volcanoes in our online class.)
For some added inspiration, here is my build – a shark. Good luck and have fun! I can’t wait to see all your builds!